Growing up on the East side of Baltimore City, I understand how complicated and difficult life can be. I have a variety of life experiences that have shaped my passion for helping others and supporting them on their life’s journey. The life lessons of commitment, never giving up, advancing through adversity, disappointment, lack and loss propelled me on my journey towards self-exploration while “helping my neighbor”. My passion for life coaching can be traced back to my days as a university administrator, college recruiter, counselor educator, church leader, therapist and mentor. Known for my upbeat yet relaxed and positive personality, I am told that I am approachable, easy to talk to and understanding. My training in human growth and development, mental health, mindfulness and holistic wellness all inform my approach towards equipping you with the different skills, support and resources to live your best life. Although this is a life coaching session and not therapy, I will utilize my knowledge of wellness to help you move towards your goals. My goals are to expand my reach of helping and supporting to more people through the service of life-coaching.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LIFE COACHING AND THERAPY
- Psychotherapists (or Therapist, Mental Health Professionals) treat mental illness, Life Coaches do not diagnose any conditions.
- Past vs. Future- Psychotherapy can spend a lot of time on the past, helping you heal from pass distress and trauma. Life Coaching is present and future focused.
- Psychotherapists can work for someone from months to many years off and on. Coaches tend to be short term.
- Psychotherapists are trained to handle mental health emergencies; life coaches are not.
- Psychotherapists can work with clients with major mental health impairments. Life Coaches see clients who are higher functioning who are able to work through their problems with more ease.
- Coaches are trained to support clients to make progress in life. Psychotherapists are trained on a lot of issues including abuse/neglect, sexuality, human development and mental health conditions.
- Forward Movement and Goal Setting
- Client Centered
- Focused on Empowerment
- Empathy is a key component
- Supports Personal Growth